Melio Math Club
About the Melio Math Club
The Melio Math Club is a members-only space where 9-12 year olds can meet once a week to master Mathematics. Each Club Meeting is anchored by a friendly, trained Moderator from Melio, and has 3 major items on the agenda.
- The Challenge of the Week - each Club conducts one challenge each week in which all Club Members compete for points. The Challenge for the current week is Fast Calculations. More details below!
- Peer discussions on relevant topics - Club Members engage with each other and with the Moderator on topics relevant to the Club, be it ways to compute the day of the week from any give date, or a quick way to multiply three-digit numbers!
- Discussion on New Activities - the Moderator leads a discussion on a new activity relevant to the Club, which then becomes the next week's Challenge of the Week!
Members will have a choice of meeting slots which they may choose according to their availability and convenience.
Challenge of the Week - Fast Calculations
The Challenge of the Week for the upcoming Club Meeting is Fast Calculations.
- Club members need to perform Math calculations like Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division in their minds. This has to be done without using a calculator or writing it anywhere, within a fixed time limit.
- There will be a maximum of 50 questions that can be answered in 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
- The questions will range from simple additions of two 2 digit numbers to multiplications of two 2 digit numbers, divisions of 3 digit numbers by single digit numbers, etc. All participants of the same age category will get questions of similar difficulty levels.
- They won’t be repeated so if you pass, you won’t get to attempt them again.
- Scoring will be done based on how many correct answers you give within the allotted time. No negative marking.
- You are NOT allowed to use a pen and paper or any other resource to help you with the calculations. We should be able to see your hands at all times.
The results of the Challenge of the Week will be shared on Tuesday, 20th October.
Depending on their relative scores in each Challenge of the Week, each Club Members is awarded points. Accumulating enough of which allows the Member to Level Up, which unlocks access to access to invite-only meetings and tougher activities with peers of the same age group at the same level!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Melio Clubs and the weekly challenges you used to organize?
We no longer organize stand-alone challenges. We have discovered that significant improvement at any skill is best achieved through deliberate, frequent practice - hence we have made the change from organizing stand-alone challenges to focused Clubs for specific activities.
Having said that, the most important part of each weekly Club meeting is the Challenge of the Week, which will earn Members points depending on their performance. If you are interested in testing your abilities against a group of equally skilled and similar minded peers, Melio Clubs is the place to be!
Will there be cash prizes for the Challenge of the Week?
Challenges of the Week are not prize winning events. There will be no cash prizes, and no weekend finale rounds.
Is it mandatory to perform during each Club Meeting?
While the objective of weekly challenges is to ensure you have many opportunities to perform, you can choose to skip performing in a meeting if you feel unready. Remember you can earn points and Level Up only if you participate in these challenges!
What happens if I am unable to make it to a Club Meeting?
If you are unable to make it to a Club Meeting, please notify us at least 24 hours before your meeting and we will try to accommodate you in a different meeting slot in the same week. Please remember that we may not always succeed at this.