Format: Interrogation Debate
Qualifier round : 18th August, Tuesday, 3-9 pm IST
Your debate will be in a 15 minute slot during the 1 hour window you choose while registering. Your exact slot time and side will be communicated to you on Monday, 17th August by 7pm IST
Final round : 22nd August, Saturday, 11 am - 12:30 pm IST
Qualifier Round Motions
- Environmental organizations should start a campaign of sabotage and destruction (eco-terrorism) against major pollution companies
- India should prioritise employment issues, even at the expense of significant harms to the environment
Final round motions - To be announced on Wednesday, 19th August, along with results of qualifiers
- Each debate will have 2 debaters. One arguing ‘For’ and the other ‘Against’ the topic.
- The debate will be held in a question-answer (interrogation) format. Each debater has 15 seconds to ask the question and gets 45 seconds to give their answer. After each question is asked, debaters get 10 seconds to collect their thoughts and then respond with their answer.
- Question asked by ‘for’ 15s
- Answer given by ‘against’ 45s
- Question asked by ‘against’ 15s
- Answer given by ‘for’ 45s
This shall be repeated 2 times for the U-14 category and 3 times for U-18 category. Implying a total of 2 Questions and 2 Answers per U14 debater and 3 Questions and 3 Answers per U18 debater.
- Each debater will be assigned a side (for or against) randomly by our team and the same will be communicated to the debater on Monday, 17th August, along with the Zoom video call invite.
Details around judging criteria and how to structure the questions and answers will be provided in the prepbook along with best practices for debating. It will be shared with all registered participants for the challenge.
- Use of index cards is allowed, but only for reference of outline and key points. Reading verbatim is discouraged and will result in a penalty affecting the final score
- The qualifier is not a knock-out competition. The top 4 debaters in each age category, based on their individual scores, will be moving on to the final round on Saturday.
- An interactive webinar will be held on Friday, 14th August at 6 PM IST to familiarise the participants to the format of this debate. Participants can clarify any doubts about the event. The link for the webinar will be shared on the website and through email (to those who have already registered).
- On Saturday, the top 4 will compete in knock-out semifinals leading to the top 2 who will battle it out in the Finals to decide the winners of the Debating Challenge #3.
We assign you an age category based on how old you are on the date of registration. For example : Your date of birth is 12th August 2006. If you register for a challenge on 11th August 2020, you fall into the Under 18 age category. If you register on 13th August, you become eligible for the older age category, which in the case below is Under 14.
Details on how to prepare and FAQs are provided in the Prep Book below.
DOWNLOAD PREP BOOK
Time Limit (per debater)
3 questions of 15s each
3 answers of 45s each
2 questions of 15s each
2 answers of 45s each
₹ 299 per debater.
Winner - 1st prize: ₹ 1250; Runner up - ₹ 750; Semi-finalists (2) - ₹ 500 each
Total prizes worth Rs. 6000 /-
All finalists will receive digital certificates